Monday, March 20, 2006

A new irritant...

Got a new camera, a Kodak C330 for a cheap $149.99. Bought that specific camera based on a CNET review. It has increadable image quality, is in the 4 to 5 megapixle range I wanted, and has good battery life. This camera had every feature I wanted, but with one draw back. This camera requires Kodak software to use it. Now I reasoned that I could run this under WINE and everything would be OK, and it was. I also know that I plan on getting a Mac laptop (whatever the new Intel version is called) later in the fall, and the camera's software will work on the Mac. So everything is fine. But given my nature, and the lack of nearby medication, I get worked up about these little irritants in my life. Why would any company take a well reviewed product and make it difficult to use? I could understand a piece of junk getting tied to software that would force to to buy another product or license. But a good product will sell better if it also has a great user experience. Look at the ipod or the Xbox 360. People are raving about the great user interface, and last I checked these products enjoy sustained demand. This little camera just proves to me that some companies, even with a great product, don't know anything about the average consumer. It would seem that some executives live in a bubble impervious to any information about consumer habits. Kodak, you made a good camera at a great price. Why did you have to annoy your customers with silly software requirements? As it stands I would only recomend this little camera to Windows and Mac users. It just runs to slow under emulation. For the Linux photographers out there stick with the Olympus Stylus 600 or 800, Linux will see it as a thumbdrive (you will pay a little more for those cameras, but they do compare nicely in image quality and are a little higher resolution.)